Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hobbies and Interests

Everyone is well acquainted with my love of the Hula Hoop. I am frequently taking a class, talking about the new trick I’m learning, and generally showing anyone who will watch as I perform whatever new, amazing thing I can do. I also have other hobbies; reading, writing (as evidenced), traveling, tennis, watching TV, wake and snowboarding and trying new hobbies (the hobby of other hobbies).

But these are all regular things that people are generally interested in doing in their spare time.

I also have other, bizarre interests which I still consider “hobbies” and I’d like to share with you these little things that make me happy.

A) Open Houses: I cannot resist the urge to look through other people’s homes. I love to see floor plans, criticize their decorating style and get ideas. I will pick up flyers for homes for sale, just to see what they have to offer. An Open House sign decked out with balloons is like a Christmas tree with twinkly lights to me.

2) Cleaning extremely dirty things: You know when there is clearly visible grime on something and you know that you can take a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to it and it’ll be gone? That is such a rush!! The other day I saw some shower mold and I had to resist the urge to put on some rubber gloves and whip out the bleach. Let’s get this clear, it’s not because I’m some sort of snob that is above shower mold, because I’m not, but when I know that I could make it clean, the feeling is indescribable. (author's note: I have immense jealousy for the soul that got to clean said mold) There is something about the transition from dirty to clean that I find thrilling.
%) Touching things: This is not a perverted hobby so just get that out of your head right now. Sometimes an uncontrollable urge comes over me where I just have to touch things to know how it feels. I may be diagnosable… or I’m a 4 year old… I haven’t decided. These things I must touch are usually paintings, fabrics, or surfaces, but they are always plants, and on occasion, people. While sitting on a bus in Hawaii I just HAD to touch the man sitting in front of me. I couldn’t get off the bus without doing it so I concocted a plan. When I stood up I touched his shoulder as if by accident, but then as I was “apologizing” I was distracted and hit my head on the lowered ceiling of the bus. As I stumbled to try not to look like a fool, I turned around and ran right into the pole in the middle of the bus. I then slinked away with as much dignity as I could muster. Suffice it to say I’ve tried to learn my lesson about giving in to my urge to touch people.

8) Eating: like really EATING!! You may think this is more of a necessity than a hobby but I disagree. I get so excited about what I’m going to eat, I plan for it, and, sometimes, when something is especially delicious, I do a little dance while I eat it. I start planning what I’m going to eat for my next meal as soon as I finish my current one. I have always felt like a fat girl trapped in a skinny girl's body. Sometimes, you eat something so amazing it’ll change your life. Last night I had a life altering encounter with a dessert. I don’t even know what it was. It was indescribable. If delicious is a noun, that’s what I ate. I ate delicious. I think it was made out of magic. Take note of the powdered sugar coating my body from the previous doughnut I had consumed…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, too funny (And, no worries, I noticed the powdered sugar before you pointed it out ;)
/Megan

Keem! said...

Open houses are the best! I loved shopping for a house, it was so much fun. I could have looked for years, if it hadn't driven my husband and my Realtor nuts.