Thursday, July 14, 2011

Spain is the Best Country I’ve Ever Tasted

Today I used Dove hairspray so of course I was sent through my magic portal back to Spain.


Let me ‘splain….

When I went to Spain in June 2006 I took along a travel size bottle of Dove hairspray. It was the first time I’d ever used that brand, and when I returned to the states, I resumed using the pretensious bottle of salon spray I was used to.

A few years ago I bought a little bottle for my travel bag (aka, “slut kit” but that’s for a different post) and as soon as I used the hairspray, the smell transported me right back to my host mom, Amparo’s, bathroom. It was an amazing rush as all of the feelings and sensations of living in Spain came back to me. It made me very “homesick” for España.

After using it this morning I’ve been feeling a bit nostalgic about my second favorite country in the world (yes, the U.S.A. is my #1. How can it not be you haters) so I thought I’d share a little memory about my trip.


This is on the day I arrived. Keep that in mind as I share my story.
 Spain. Is. Delicious.


And Amparo was an amazing cook.

In the morning she made me breakfast of hot chocolate (Cola Cao) and a tin full of cookies, then she’d send me off to school with some sort of yummy snack.

After school she always had a gigantic lunch waiting for me when I arrived. I would eat until I had to moan, “bastante” and convince her I couldn’t stuff another piece of food into my mouth. When she finally allowed me to crawl away from the table I went straight to my three hour siesta.

We’d sit down to dinner about 10pm every night and eat remarkable food. She made me speak with her in Spanish until I was too tired to remember how to speak English before she’d finally tell me to go to sleep. Which I happily did.

These were just my regularly scheduled meals. I also ate. All. Day. Long. Wherever I was. Whoever I was with. Whatever we were doing. There was always something outstanding to eat.

I. Ate. Spain.

But how could I not!

What is the point of this all you might ask? Well, a weird thing happens when you are constantly eating and when the only time your fat ass isn’t chowing down it’s sitting in school or sleeping. You gain a little weight. 20lbs in 5 weeks to be exact.

No one ever believes me but luckily I have proof… Which I’m crazy enough to share…



And I’d do it all again in an instant.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Do you keep in touch with Amparo?

Savvy Pants said...

Sadly I haven't talked to her in years. I have emailed her daughter more recently however.